National Informatics Center (NIC) is a premier organization in the field of Information
Technology (IT) in India. It was setup in March, 1975 by the Government of India
to play a promotional role in creating Computer Awareness and for developing and
implementing computer based information system for decision support in the Ministries
and Departments of the Government. It provides state-of-the-art solutions to the
information management and decision support requirements of the Government and the
Corporate sector. Now NIC has become an organization of national and international
fame. It comes under the Ministry of Information Technology (MIT). NIC has set up
a satellite-based nation-wide computer-communication network , called NICNET, which
is the member of INTERNET family. It connects the national capital , the state capitals
and district headquarters to one and other. NICNET is a type of Wide Area Network
" The nation-wide computer communication network,skilled manpower and rich experience in IT make ,NIC the largest software house in India"
- Development of computer based information system in various sectors of the economy for planning , project monitoring & decision support.
- Promotion of computer, informatics culture at district, State & National levels.
- Improvement of analytical capability & presentation of information utilised for National, State & District level planning.
- Development of modelling, forecasting & simulation technique that are required for planning & decision support.
- Establishment of computer communication network for ensuring ready access of information across the nation enabling optional use of resources.
- Evolving standards for data collection, compilation & dissemination , with the cooperation of related agencies at District, State & Central levels.
- Creating a dedicated training school with branches in all parts of the country for extensive training/retraining of personnel in public service & user of NICNET.
- Providing gateway for accessing International Databases for those working in District, State & Center.
The services provided by NIC include development of Application Software Packages,
System Software, Database Systems, Distributed Databases, Networking, Electronic
Mail, EDI (Electronic Data Interchange), Access To International Databases, Computer-Aided
Design, Geographic Information Systems, Modeling, Expert Systems, Telematics Software,
Office Automation, Text base Management Systems, Turnkey Projects and Training,
Internet Facility, Website Creation.